Undergraduate Study - Major Information

Undergraduate Major Contents

Please use the links below to jump to specific sections of the undergraduate major page.

How to Declare

To declare the Plant Pathology major students must contact the Student Services Coordinator (Sara Rodock, 608-262-9926, 276 Russell Labs, 1630 Linden Dr, appointment link for current UW-Madison students).  From there students will need to go to Room 116 Agriculture Hall to declare the major.  Current College of Agricultural and Life Science (CALS) students will just need to fill out a declaration form.  Students in another college (Engineering, L&S , etc) will need to attend a transfer session.

For general information on admissions to the University of Wisconsin-Madison please visit the Undergraduate Admissions website.

Back to top

Plant Pathology Major Requirements

Plant Pathology Major Requirements

The Plant Pathology major is composed of two tracks; Plant-Microbe Biology and Plant Health & Industry. Both tracks require students to complete the CALS BS degree requirements in addition to the major courses listed below (a printable PDF version of the curriculum is also available below).

Track Plant-Microbe Biology Plant Health & Industry
Mathematics -alegbra and trig: Math 112/113, 114, or 171
-calculus: Math 211, 217, or 221
-additional calculus or statistics: Math 222, Stats 301, or 371
-algebra and trig: Math 112/113, 114, or 171
-or students have the option or completing Math 112 and another math course above 200, a statistics course or computer science
Chemistry -general chemistry: Chem 103/104 or 109
-organic chemistry: Chem 341/342 or 343/344/345
-general chemistry: Chem 103/104 or 109
Biology -introductory biology: Biology 151/152, Zoology 101/102 & Botany 130, or Biocore 301/302/303/304
-genetics and microbiology: Micro 303/304 & Genetics 466 or two of three from Biocore 323, 324, or 333
-introductory biology: Biology 151/152, Zoology 101/102 & Botany 130, or Biocore 301/302/303/304
-genetics: Genetics 160 or 466
Physics -general physics: Physics 103/104, 201/202, or 207/208 -general physics: Physics 103, 201 or 207
Plant Pathology Core -introductory plant pathology: Pl Path 300
-mycology: Pl Path/Botany 332
-plant physiology: Botany 500
-advanced plant pathology: another Pl Path course above 300 (not including special topics or independent study)
-introductory plant pathology: Pl Path 300
-mycology: Pl Path/Botany 332
-advanced plant pathology: Pl Path 558 or 559 and another Pl Path course above 300 (not including special topics or independent study)
Track Electives -5 credits from Biochem 501, Botany 300, 400 or 401, 460, Ento 302 or any Pl Path course above 300 -24 credits of Plant health and industry electives from departments such as agronomy, botany, entomology, forest & wildlife ecology, horticulture, microbiology, soil science and plant pathology
-6 credits of business/economics electives
Capstone -independent study/research: Pl Path 590 -independent study/research: Pl Path 590

For more information on the major please consult the following resources (all links below are PDF documents):

Plant Pathology Major Requirements: previous curriculum

Students who declared the Forest Science major prior to Fall 2011 can find their curriculum sheets on the CALS website.

For more information on CALS and UW-Madison requirements please also visit the UW-Madison Undergraduate Catalog.

Back to top

Undergraduate Capstone Experience

The goals of the capstone experience are to:

  • build interdisciplinary connections;
  • build skills for teamwork;
  • develop skills in problem solving and critical thinking;
  • develop communication skills.

A faculty member will act as a capstone advisor and work with students to develop the details and strategy for the project. It is up to the student and advisor to narrow the focus of each specific project.

To receive credit for the capstone experience students must register for Plant Pathology 590 Capstone for at least 3 credits with their capstone advisor.  Once a student has come to an agreement with their capstone advisor regarding the project details the advisor should contact the Student Services Coordinator (Sara Rodock, 608-262-9926) to get the student authorized for the correct section of Plant Pathology 590.

Students, their capstone advisor and their major advisor will all also need to fill out the Capstone Agreement Form.  Approval of the capstone will not be submitted to CALS until this form is filed with the Plant Pathology major advisor.

Examples of experiences students could participate in include:

  • participation in a faculty members research program;
  • one or more integrated plant disease clinic-like experiences that involve receiving the problem from the client, processing the diagnosis, participating in the decision as to what to proscribe, and participating in the delivery of the recommended procedures or information;
  • demonstrating a knowledge of information sources, types of sources, and their uses and values;
  • demonstrating an understanding of where plant pathology fits in the broader plant and global health scene;
  • attending professional meetings as part of the learning experience.

Back to top

Undergraduate Independent Study

Students who wish to receive Plant Pathology 299 Independent Study or 699 Specials Problems credits will need to fill out the Independent Study Agreement Form.  Students should begin the form and then work with their supervisor or instructor on the specific information for their project.  Both the student and faculty member should keep a copy of the form.

Back to top

Undergraduate Internship Credits

Students who wish to receive Plant Pathology 399 Coordinative Internship/Cooperative Education credits will need to find a faculty member in Plant Pathology to serve as their internship advisor.  Student will be able to enroll in Plant Pathology 399 with the internship advisor.  Additionally, students will need to complete the following forms, the first is to gain permission to enroll in Plant Pathology 399 and the second is to receive a final grade.

Back to top

Undergraduate Advising in Plant Pathology

Students in Plant Pathology are assigned two advisors, the staff advisor (Sara Rodock, appointment link) and one of our faculty advisors.  Current faculty advisors include:

Undergraduates in Plant Pathology are required to meet with their advisor before they can enroll for the upcoming term.  A hold will be placed on student records until they meet with their advisor.

For more information about the Plant Pathology major or the department in general, please contact either the lead undergraduate advisor, Dr. Jeri Barak, or the Student Services Coordinator, Sara Rodock. Students with questions regarding lab positions (both paid and unpaid) in Plant Pathology should contact Dr. Jeri Barak.

Back to top

Careers and Professional Development

For more information on careers available to Plant Pathology students please visit our Internship & Job Resources page. For more information on other academic, co-curricular, financial aid, and career opportunities and services available to Plant Pathology students, please visit the CALS "Building Your Career" page. Students in the major are welcome to make an individual appointment with Sara Rodock (appointment link for current UW-Madison students) to discuss a number of career related topics such as career exploration, search strategies, graduate school, and review of application materials (resume, CV, letters, etc.).

Last updated: August 3, 2016 (GD)